This page is about the ranks and posts of the GAN Surface and Submarine Fleet. For other ranks and posts of the GAN, see here.
- 1 System
- 2 Comparative Ranks
- 3 Grand Admiral
- 4 Admiral
- 5 Vice Admiral
- 6 Rear Admiral
- 7 Commodore
- 8 Flag Captain
- 9 Captain
- 10 Commander
- 11 Lieutenant Commander
- 12 Flag Lieutenant
- 13 Lieutenant
- 14 Ensign
- 15 Midshipman
- 16 Chief Warrant Officer
- 17 Master Warrant Officer
- 18 Warrant Officer
- 19 Chief Petty Officer
- 20 Master Petty Officer
- 21 Petty Officer
- 22 Master Seaman
- 23 Leading Seaman
- 24 Able Seaman
- 25 Seaman
- 26 Seaman Recruit
- 27 Recruit / Cadet
- 28 Grand Alliance Naval Posts
- 29 Notes
The Alliance Navy Surface and Submarine Fleet is made up of a unique, but strict chain of command consisting of sailors and officers. The two sections are further divided into two smaller sections. For sailors, it is divided between Sailors (Seaman Recruit - Leading Seaman), the crew members who sail the vessel and Non-Commissioned Officers (Master Seaman - Chief Warrant Officer), who help organize the sailors. Sailors are then led by Officers.
These officers are term 'Commissioned' Officers, who are in essence, official officers on board the vessel. All officers from Midshipman and higher are commissioned. Commissioned Officers are further divided between Junior and Senior Officers.
Junior Officers help in organizing both sailors and NCOs, as well as leading day-to-day duties such as the Colour Party (The group which raises the flags during Colours). Senior Officers however, are the officers in charge of a vessel, group of vessels or even a naval base.
Additionally, one may be able to divide Senior Officers (Lieutenant - Flag Captain) and Flag Officers (Commodore - Grand Admiral), who are the highest Senior Officers and run the Navy as a whole.
- Grand Admiral (O-14)
- Posted Flag Officer (O-13)
- Admiral (O-12)
- Vice Admiral (O-11)
- Rear Admiral (O-10)
- Commodore (O-9)
- Flag Captain (O-8)
- Captain (O-7)
- Commander (O-6)
- Lieutenant Commander (O-5)
- Flag Lieutenant (O-4)
- Lieutenant (O-3)
- Ensign (O-2)
- Midshipman (O-1)
- Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy (E-12)
- Chief Warrant Officer (E-11)
- Master Warrant Officer (E-10)
- Warrant Officer (E-9)
- Chief Petty Officer (E-8)
- Master Petty Officer (E-7)
- Petty Officer (E-6)
- Master Seaman (E-5)
- Leading Seaman (E-4)
- Able Seaman (E-3)
- Seaman (E-2)
- Seaman Recruit (E-1)
|Grand Admiral||Grand Marshal of the Army|
|Posted Flag Officer||Grand Marshal|
|Vice Admiral||Field Marshal|
|Rear Admiral||Lord Marshal|
|Flag Captain||High Commander|
|Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy||Sergeant Major of the Army|
|Chief Warrant Officer||Chief Sergeant Major|
|Master Warrant Officer||First Sergeant Major|
|Warrant Officer||Sergeant Major|
|Chief Petty Officer||Chief Sergeant|
|Master Petty Officer||Master Sergeant|
|Master Seaman||Master Corporal|
|Able Seaman||Private First Class|
Grand Admiral (Abbreviated GA) is the title for the Supreme Commander within a naval force. It is not to be confused with the title of Lord Admiral, which is the title given to the ruling monarch of the Kingdom of Kul Tiras.
Grand Admirals, like most Admirals and Vice Admirals, spend the majority of their time in planning and logistics, leading the navies from the various War Rooms of the Alliance as well as the Admiralty Arch, the Grand Alliance Navy's official house of residence.
The Admiral of the Fleet, Lord of the Seas and the Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy, along with senior members of the Admiralty Board work closely with the Grand Admiral, drawing war plans and keeping the Navy afloat.
Known Grand Admirals
- Grand Admiral Jes-Tereth (Grand Admiral of the Alliance Navy)
- Grand Admiral Daelin Proudmoore (Lord Admiral of Kul Tiras, Grand Admiral of the Lordaeron Navy, deceased.)
An Admiral is a high ranking officer within a navy. They often lead large Fleets or Task Forces, usually operating as the logistical or planning heads for the navy. Though the majority do the planning, with Admiralty, Admirals occasionally lead fleets or other large forces into battle.
Admiral is the second highest rank in a navy, being above the rank of Vice Admiral and below the rank of Grand Admiral, who runs the entirety of the navy in question. In the Alliance, the Grand Admiral of the entire Grand Alliance Navy is Grand Admiral Jes-Tereth.
Though Jes-Tereth runs the entire Grand Alliance Navy, many nations in the Alliance have their own, smaller navies, run by their own Admirals, such as Lady Katherine Proudmoore, head of the Kul Tiran Navy, the largest portion of the Alliance's maritime forces.
All those who hold Commodore to Full Admiralty (Rank of Admiral) are members of the Admiralty, the Grand Alliance Navy's Chain of Supreme Command.
While the list below mostly entails Admirals who served or are serving in the Grand Alliance Navy, it also recognizes other admirals who have or are serving in another recognized naval force.
- Admiral Abraham Glendale II (Admiral of the Sixth Fleet of the Kul Tiras Navy)
- Admiral Alleiandra Health (Admiral of the Grand Alliance Navy)
- Admiral Aurin Dawnlight (Admiral of the 226th Regiment of the Stormwind Navy, JTF 226th)
- Admiral Culligian J. Smith (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy, Cobalt Myriad Marine Corp)
- Admiral Dartlic Boreal (Admiral of the Fifth Fleet of the Kul Tiras Navy)
- Admiral Francis Haltring (Admiral of the Westfall Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Hugoh Anneblaut (Admiral of the Westridge Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Jackel Stenmard (Chief of Special Warfare of the Grand Alliance Navy, Admiral of the Redridge Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Jenna Cantlebree (Admiral of the Auxiliary Expedition Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Letholdus Carrington (Admiral of the Second Fleet of the Stromic Navy)
- Admiral Marcus Kilbrook (Admiral of the Sons of Arathor)
- Admiral Marquis Remington (Admiral of the Grand Alliance Navy)
- Admiral Medris Featherwing (Admiral of the Kaldorei Navy, Alliance Fleet Air Arm)
- Admiral Meredith Whitmore (Admiral of the Grand Alliance Navy)
- Admiral Nightwind (Admiral of the Kaldorei Navy)
- Admiral Odeysus (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy, Alliance Naval Command)
- Admiral Pelore Leones (Admiral of the Shadowtalon Naval Branch)
- Admiral Ranets Daggerfang (Admiral of the Fleet of the Grand Alliance Navy, Admiral of the Northern Gilnean Command Fleet of the Gilnean Navy)
- Admiral Rodrigo Basilio (Chancellor of the Royal Naval Academy of Kul Tiras, Admiral of the Kul Tiras Navy)
- Admiral Lord Strommyr Krakyr (Admiral of the Eighth Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Thertonus Lightmane (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy, Navy Fleet Air Arm)
- Mage-Commander Vanidicus Alexander (Commanding officer of the Magus Senate Flotilla of the Dalaran Navy)
- Admiral Walsh (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Walters (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy)
- Admiral Zale Marshoak (admiral of the Ashen Armada of the Gilnean Navy.)
- Admiral John von Hastings(Admiral of the Duskwood Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Grand Marshal Ashamal Shalah'aman (Grand Marshal of the Grand Alliance Navy, retired.)
- Admiral Abraham Chambers (Admiral of the Grizzlian Navy, discharged.)
- Admiral Damien Marshoak (Admiral of the Ashen Armada of the Gilnean Navy, deceased.)
- Admiral Fredreck Haltring (Admiral of the Westfall Fleet of the Stormwind Navy, resigned.)
- Admiral Hodgson (Admiral of the Grand Alliance Navy, deceased.)
- Admiral John Dunelm (Admiral of the Fourth Fleet of the Kul Tiras Navy)
- Admiral Luis Derischore (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy, deceased.)
- Admiral Markus Voltaire (Self-proclaimed Admiral and founder of the Fouth Fleet of Kul Tiras, deceased.)
- Admiral Skaxis Voltaire (Admiral of the Fourth Fleet of the Kul Tiras Navy)
- Admiral Tarlen Aubrey (Admiral of the Theramore Navy, deceased.)
- Admiral Taylor (Admiral of the Stormwind Navy, deceased.)
Vice Admiral is a senior naval officer rank. Vice Admirals are typically below the rank of Admiral and above that of Rear Admiral.
Vice Admirals may often command large fleet units, naval, fleet or training bases as well as certain specialist groups. Vice Admirals will also work under senior Admirals as their executives, though this will depend on both the Admiral and Vice Admiral's posting and appointed tasks.
Known Vice Admirals
- Vice Admiral Keller (Vice Admiral of the Stormwind Navy)
- Vice Admiral Dungsey McGinahin (Vice Admiral of the Redridge Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Vice Admiral Irae Starfrost (Vice Admiral of the Second Fleet)
- Vice Admiral Gerald Keel (Vice Admiral of the Gilnean Navy, deceased.)
- Vice Admiral Tadmor Carrington (Vice Admiral of the Alterac Navy, incarcerated.)
Rear Admiral is a senior naval officer rank. The lowest of the Admiral ranks, it is above Commodore and right below the rank of Vice Admiral. It is also referred to as a Counter Admiral, as seen in the Gilnean Navy.
In varying cases, Rear Admiral is a common rank granted to many of the nobility, and as such may be interchangeably used on the field and in court.
Known Rear Admirals
- Rear Admiral Lauren Dystra-McLure (Former Lady of the Seas of the Grand Alliance Navy, Rear Admiral of the Stormwind Navy)
- Rear Admiral Hartley (Rear Admiral of the Theramore Navy)
- Rear Admiral Daniel Wilkinson (Rear Admiral of the Gilnean Navy)
- Rear Admiral Lord Kathan Greytyde (Rear Admiral of the Eighth Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Rear Admiral Aleyina Grayblade (Rear Admiral of the Ashen Armada of the Gilnean Navy.)
Commodore (CMDRE) is a naval rank used in many navies that is superior to a Naval Captain, but below a Rear Admiral.
Traditionally, "Commodore" is the title for any officer assigned to command more than one ship at a time. A Commodore typically commands a flotilla or squadron of ships as part of a larger task force or naval fleet commanded by an Admiral.
- Commodore Eliza Chester (Incumbent Lady of the Seas, King's Royal Fleet)
- Commodore Aideen Pembrooke (Kul Tiras Fourth Fleet)
- Mage-Commodore Bartolomé Avant (Commodore of the Magus Senate Flotilla of the Dalaran Navy)
- Commodore Jasmira Brunnswick (Commodore of the Brunnswick Armada of the Grand Alliance Navy)
- Commodore Zartiron Swiftsilver (Commodore of the Silver Dawn Fleet)
Flag Captain (FCPT), also know as Fleet Captain, is a senior officer rank given to veteran Captains whom are placed in command of a fleet's largest and most important vessels (capital ships) or the flagship. They are sometimes referred to as Ship of the Line Captain in the Tirasian, Lordaeronian or Stromic navies, due to it being the literal translation of the rank from Tirassi, High Lordaeronian or Stromic respectively.
Flag Captain is a senior officer rank and are typically highly experienced veteran-officers in the navy, being trusted with the fleet's largest, strongest, and most important vessels. Flag Captains are typically eligible - eventually - to advance to be Flag Officers, the senior-most leaders in the navy.
Known Flag Captains
Captain (CPT) is the rank given to commanding officers of frigates, large ships usually comprising of 34-64 guns and a large crew personnel count. Captains may further advance to Flag Captain, who serve as commanding officers of a fleet's most important vessels. Like Flag Captains, they are sometimes known by different, more literal, names in the navies of the other human kingdoms, in this case they are called Frigate Captain.
It is important to note that while many Captains are members of Nobility Peerage, it is not always required of a Captain to originate from noble birth, although being of noble birth would make it easier to achieve the rank. Non-human Captains were once rare in the Grand Alliance, (With the exception of Khaz Modan and the Night Elves) but are becoming more prevalent as Stormwind City continues to develop into a multi-cultural metropolis.
Captains of the Grand Alliance Navy may attain their rank through Stormwind's Navy, or any Alliance Navy recognized as an official branch of the Grand Alliance and it's Navy.
- Captain Lucas Adlam (Captain of the Stormwind Navy, Grand Alliance Navy Honour Guard)
- Captain Vince Crawford (Captain of the Stormwind Navy, Redridge Fleet)
- Sir Alaeric Stormtreader (King's Privateer, Captain of the Stormwind Navy)
- Captain Angelina Soluna (Captain of the Kul Tiras Navy)
- Captain Constance (Captain of the Stormwind Navy)
- Captain Day (Captain of the Stormwind Navy, Navy Fleet Air Arm)
- Captain Galind Windsword (Captain of the Kaldorei Navy)
- Captain Kerwin (Captain of the Stormwind Navy, Navy Fleet Air Arm)
- Captain "Lefty" Lugsail (Captain of the Ironforge Navy)
- Captain Paul Carver (Captain of the Stormwind Navy)
- Captain Inas'thas Sunbrook (Captain of the Ashen Armada of the Gilnean Navy.)
- Captain Oswald Boelcke (Captain of the Stormwind Navy, Stormwind Air Corps Pilot, deceased.)
- Captain Fairmount (Captain of the Theramore Navy in Northwatch Hold, presumed deceased.)
- Captain Brent the Black (Captain of the Gilnean Navy in the Stormwind Navy, deceased.)
- Captain Mulkey (Captain of the Stormwind Navy, deceased.)
Commander (CMDR) is a senior officer rank within the navy, above Lieutenant but below Captain. Commanders have a large role in the military, either serving as Commanding Officers to large corvettes or small frigates or Executive Officers underneath a Flag Captain on capital ships or even the flagship of a fleet. They are also known as Corvette Captain.
Lieutenant Commander (LTCMDR or LIEUTCMDR), also known as Captain-Lieutenant, is the most junior of the senior officer ranks of the navy. Lieutenant Commanders serve as Commanding Officers of small corvettes, the most minor vessels of a fleet, or the Executive Officers of large corvettes underneath a Commander.
Known Lieutenant Commanders
- Captain-Lieutenant Samanthyra Smith, (Lieutenant Commander of the Eighth Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Lieutenant Commander Loghan O'Daniel (Lieutenant Commander of the HMS Lakeshire)
Flag Lieutenant (FLT or FLIEUT) is the senior-most junior officer rank within the navy. Flag Lieutenants serve as Executive Officers of frigates underneath Captains. They are sometimes known by the more archaic name of First Lieutenant.
Known Flag Lieutenants
Lieutenant (LT or LIEUT) is a commissioned officer rank in many nations' navies superior to an Ensign and subordinate to a Commander.
A Lieutenant often takes up major Officer of the Watch duties, or even preparation for Executive Officer (X.O.) positions, depending on the Command structure of the vessel or shore establishment.
Many Lieutenants are also experts in a specific field or rating, such as special forms of warfare, including magic.
- Lieutenant Gavinnos Eric Colton III (Lieutenant of the 226th Naval Infantry of the Stormwind Navy)
- Lieutenant Thorgerd Dorgain (Lieutenant of the 226th Naval Infantry of the Stormwind Navy)
- Lieutenant Hiwliws (Lieutenant of the 226th Naval Infantry of the Stormwind Navy)
- Lieutenant Varghese G. Durand (Lieutenant of the 226th Naval Infantry of the Stormwind Navy)
- Lieutenant Michael Fawkes (Lieutenant of the Auxiliary Expedition Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
- Lieutenant Alrea Talbot (Lieutenant of the Westridge Fleet of the Stormwind Navy)
An Ensign (ENS) like Midshipman and Lieutenant is a junior military officer rank. They are sometimes known as a Sub-Lieutenant. In the Grand Alliance Navy, an Ensign is a naval commissioned or subordinate officer ranking below a Lieutenant and above a Sub Ensign.
An Ensign usually hold small command positions such as boarding parties, Officers of the Watch and more, usually in a select speciality.
A Midshipman is a commissioned officer of the junior-most rank in the Grand Alliance Navy superior to a Warrant Officer and subordinate to a Sub Ensign. They are typically given to graduates of naval colleges such as the Grand Alliance Naval College. Many Midshipman serve a large portion of their time in the rank as Officers of the Watch, operating and sailing the vessels they are deployed on.
Most Midshipmen complete a Single Service Training (SST) in which they serve on board an active vessel for a half or full deployment (6 Months, typically) as a form of 'Work Experience' for their training at a Naval College. Alternatively, Midshipmen who rise through the ranks may simply be given a new rating or appointment during their deployment and began fulfilling minor officer duties including Officer of the Watch duties.
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer (CWO) is a senior warrant officer in the Grand Alliance Navy. They are generally found only aboard flagships, fulfilling the role of Chief Non-Commissioned Officer for their fleet, much like a Regimental or Brigade Sergeant Major.
Chief Warrant Officers are the senior most non-commissioned officers in their fleet, representing the concerns and well-being of their fleet's enlisted sailors and acting as an adviser and liaison to the fleet's Commanding Officer.
Known Chief Warrant Officers
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer (MWO) is a warrant officer rank in the Grand Alliance Navy. They serve as the chief-enlisted officer within a squadron, acting as the primary enlisted adviser from that squadron, to the fleet's Chief Warrant Officer or on occasion, an officer of the fleet.
Known Master Warrant Officers
Warrant Officer (WO) is an officer in the Grand Alliance Navy who holds the position by a warrant awarded by their Commanding or a Senior Officer.
Warrant Officers full fill a large variety of roles, though typically work with sailors in one form or another. They should not be confused with Chief Warrant Officer.
The rank is higher than a Chief Petty Officer, but lower than a Chief Warrant Officer. The Warrant Officer is also subordinate to a Midshipman.
A Warrant Officer is the second most senior non-commissioned Officer and is typically rare to find on board a minor vessel, many Master Petty Officers taking up a WO's duties.
Known Warrant Officers
- Cannonmaster Vannesira Smith (Warrant Officer of the Stormwind Navy, discharged)
Chief Petty Officer
A Chief Petty Officer (CPO) is a senior non-commissioned officer within the Grand Alliance Navy. They typically are found only aboard ships of the line and other important vessels, serving much like a Sergeant Major would in the Grand Alliance Army.
Chief Petty Officer is the first Non-Commissioned Officer rank, with the Petty Officer sailor rank just below CPO. The Chief Petty Officer is subordinate to a Warrant Officer and a Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy.
In essence, the Chief represents all sailor affairs, concerns and anything else relating to sailors and is the direct line of call from the ship's Commanding Officer and it's crew.
Known Chief Petty Officers
Master Petty Officer
A Master Petty Officer (MPO) is a Non-Commission Officer in the Grand Alliance Navy. They are superior to a Petty Officer and subordinate to Chief Petty Officer, being the equivalent of a Master Sergeant in the Grand Alliance Army. They are notable as being the senior personnel aboard non-ships of the line, being regarded as some of the main leaders on board.
Master Petty Officers typically serve as specialists aboard their ship, such as communications, gunnery, armouring, medical care and arcane technician. While they usually are commanded by a Warrant Officer, on smaller ships they can be the highest ranking specialist on board.
Known Master Petty Officers
A Petty Officer (PO) is a Non-Commissioned Officer in the Grand Alliance Navy superior to a Leading Seaman and subordinate to a Master Petty Officer. They are equal in rank to Sergeant in the Alliance Army.
They are typically regarded as leaders of sailors and are usually senior sailors who specialize in a particular field, such as communications.
Many Petty Officers are senior sailors in a particular rating or specialization including varying forms of warfare.
The rank may be granted once a Leading Seaman has distinguished oneself as an expert or a sailor of capabilities in their particular rating or specialization, however this may not be the case for promotion.
Known Petty Officers
- Petty Officer Second Class Selifer Langstrider (Arcane Technician, Petty Officer of the Grand Alliance Navy)
Master Seaman (MS) is a junior non-commissioned officer rank superior to a Leading Seaman and a subordinate to a Petty Officer. Master Seamen are typically very experienced sailors whom are selected to become junior non-commissioned officers to continue their service as leaders.
Known Master Seamen
Leading Seaman (LS) is a junior sailor rank superior to an Able Seaman and subordinate to a Master Seaman.
It is important to note that though while Leading Seaman is a fairly common rank, some Navies may not use Leading Seaman, often either ignoring the rank or replacing it with an alternative.
A Leading Seaman is also to regarded as the senior most Seaman, though not the senior most sailor (Which is held by the Chief Petty Officer).
Leading Seaman may also be adressed to as 'Leader' or 'LS'.
Known Leading Seaman
Able Seaman (AB) is a sailor rank in the Grand Alliance Navy. An AB may take up many roles including helmsmanship, watchstander, or even general sailor duties. Often, ABs may hold a specialist qualification and work in that particular field.
An Able Seaman is superior to a Seaman, but lower than a Leading Seaman. Able Seaman are regarded as a junior sailor in most cases and is the rank associated with newly promoted specialists including Arcane Technicians and Boatswain's Mates.
An AB is typically the naval equivalent for a Lance-Corporal or Private First Class and may not be found in some Navies, who may often either ignoring the rank or replacing it with an alternative.
Known Able Seamen
Seaman (SM) is the second-lowest Grand Alliance Naval Rank, besides Recruit which is a training rank. Seaman are usually new enlisted sailors and are regarded as very junior sailors on a ship, however are not the lowest rank obtainable.
Seamen will typically take up day-to-day affairs and general seamanship.
They are higher than Seaman Recruit, but lower than Able Seaman.
Seaman Recruit (SMR) is the lowest rank obtainable in the Grand Alliance Navy other than recruit, which is strictly for training. Seaman Recruits are typically assigned basic seamanship duties, being promoted to Seaman and earning a slightly higher pay once they are proven to show proper adherence to the navy values and have moderate skill in their naval profession and general seamanship.
Recruit / Cadet
Recruit (RCRT) or Cadet (CAD or CDT) is an un-enlisted sailor within the Navy. Recruits or Cadets are in essence, trainees of the Navy and is often the rank granted to those undergoing training. As of recently, much of the rank has fallen into under usage as more and more training facilities grant the end rank of the trainee during their time in training.
Recruits or Cadets are the only rank to not be in possession of a rank insignia.
The Grand Alliance Navy also maintains a steady position chain known as 'Posts'. Posts are basically tasks or occupations naval personnel (Typically senior officers) may undertake. These occupations may include varying command, specific forms of reformation and more. The most commonly known posts are the Admiral of the Fleet (ADMLFLT) and Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy (CWON) who both respectively aid in running the Navy.
Personnel with posts keep their ranks as the post will typically not determine rank (Unless it has a particular rank attached to it, such as Chief Warrant Officer for the CWON) as the post is merely a task he or she may undertake.
The Lord of the Seas (abbreviated 1LS) is a fully ceremonial position of the Stormwind Navy, typically held by a major member of peerage who has held a significant line of naval service. They are often apart of the Ministry of War and contribute greatly to joint maritime affairs within the Navy.
This position is often held by a member of the royal family or of a major peerage and is a senior member of the Admiralty Board. The role is usually more ceremonial rather than the practical head, as the Grand Admiral and the Alliance Naval Command deal with the majority of functional naval business, but they may often play a part within the House of Nobles as the Navy's primary representative.
The Lord of the Seas' main priority is to represent and manage aristocratic affairs within the navy as well as at as the ceremonial figurehead of the Admiralty. He or she rarely engages in combat, rather stays in Stormwind City and major naval bases to conduct the finer side of operations. Given the Lord of the Sea's position as an aristocrat, some may not even actively participate in war planning, given their typically sheltered lives, though many who are appointed to the Ministry of War take on a greater role in strategy.
Candidates for the position may be appointed by the Lord High Marshal with consultation with his board, the Admiralty, and in some cases, the House of Nobles.
The incumbent Lord of the Seas is Commodore Eliza Chester.
While ceremonially viewed as a rank, practically, the Lord of the Seas acts as a post unto the recipient of the title, who often holds it until their death, retirement or any loss of state, It may also be lost if the House of Nobles elects a more suitable noble, so long as the incumbent Lord is incapable of properly fulfilling the role of the Lord of the Seas.
The Admiral of the Fleet (Abbreviated FLTADML, ADMLFLT, FC or FCGAN) is a senior Grand Alliance Navy post, responsible for the operation, resourcing and training of the ships, submarines and aircraft, and personnel, within Navy. They provide vessels and other resources needed ready for operations and is based in several bases. The Admiral of the Fleet also holds full command of all Navy combat forces and responsibility for all maritime operations within Navy, while still having to report and answer to the Grand Admiralty and Reigning Monarch.
The Admiral of the Fleet may informally be called the Fleet Commander and so also holds the post-nominals of FC or FCGAN to signify the occupant's role as Fleet Commander. Additionally, the formal post-nominals are FLTADML or ADMLFLT.
Often, undertaking the position of Admiral of the Fleet is found as a stepping stone to Grand Admiralty.
The position for Admiral of the Fleet is currently vacant.
The Chief of Special Warfare (Abbreviated CSW, COSW, CSWGAN or COSWGAN) is the dubbed chief and executive head of the Special Warfare Command, working closely with the rest of the SPECCOM, full Admiralty as well as the Admiral of the Fleet and Grand Admiral.
For more information, see here.
The Chief Warrant Officer of the Navy (CWON) is a rank granted to a Chief Petty Officer who has received a certain standard of conduct and/or ability for leadership within the senior command. The CWON is in charge of all sailor affairs within the Navy. This includes everything from training, to operational command.
While technically a rank, it acts more as a post and is generally regarded as such.
While the CWON isn't a Flag Officer rank, it is on par to a Rear Admiral in command and ceremonial stances.
The position as CWON is currently empty, with the Admiralty working towards electing a new candidate for the position.